View Single Post
Old 29th May 2013, 20:15
Enthusiast

MadDogMoggy is on a distinguished road
Default Nearly .... but not quite!

IVA test test today, and like most builds it failed first time.

Most issues were fairly minor and should be easy to rectify:

* Emissions - these were too high (with Lambda being too low). Possible faulty cat, although it smelt right. Could be the lambda sensor as we had issues with this before (low voltage errors)

* Exterior projections - area around the fog light, reversing light and bottom edge of rear panel didn't have required 2.5mm radius. This was the same with the edges on the engine cover vents. I'd purposely not filed/sanded these much for fear of gong through the gel coat.

* NS Side Light - very dim, probably a bad earth, although the earth point is the same as the other lights

* NS headlight - unable to adjust to the correct sideways position. We thought these were sorted by an MoT station, but apparently not. May need a spacer as the lights are mounted on fibre-glassed in brackets

* Rear Fog Light - this comes on with the side lights, and should only come on with the main and dipped headlights. Ours is as it came with the Marlin loom, so maybe there's a problem there. Hopefully just a case of running a wire from a dipped live to the switch instead of a sidelight live, maybe taken from the fusebox.

* Wheel guards - a very common fault with early 5Exi bodies. These are too narrow and don't cover the width of the wheels adequately. I need to make and fit some flared arches.

* Stamped in VIN - the car needs both a chassis number stamped directly on the chassis material plus a VIN plate. My early chassis has a plate welded at each end to the front cross member. This could count as a VIN but not the stamped plate unless welded all of the way round. This would mean taking out the fuel tank,so this has now become the VIN plate (which can be bonded or riveted on) and I need to stamp the chassis with the chassis No.

The tester was very complementary about the build, explained everything thoroughly as he went through the tests, and was very pleasant and helpful throughout the whole process. He seemed genuinely enthusiastic about kitcars, and said that driving them around the test centre area was one of the few perks of the job.

We (dad and I) trailered the car there, and so a few laps of the test centre grounds is the only driving experience I've had of the car. Can't wait to get it on the road, as it went really well. Turning circle was a bit rubbish though (may have a racing rack not a road one): parking it is going to be fun!

Cheers
Tim
Available from eBay