View Single Post
Old 24th October 2019, 08:34

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Feeling pleased with myself that the transmission tunnel saga was complete, I remembered that I hadn't secured the thick earth lead with the clips I'd riveted under it, so the side panel had to come off. Worming my way upside down into the footwell, I managed to contort myself sufficiently to correct this omission, reminding myself that my spring chicken days are long gone. Whilst the ally panel was off I decided to add a rudimentary clutch foot rest, something that came in very handy in both the A352 and its Marlin predecessor. Tin snips, three bends and four pop rivets later this was in place. I bolted the side panel back for what I hope will be the last time: I'll put a couple of Tech Screws through the bottom flange into the GRP floor to make it fully secure. I trial sat in the drivers side to make sure that it was possible to operate the pedals OK. The well is so narrow that I think feet bigger than my size 43s in anything other than very light shoes would have a problem.

I fitted the back body items last week, finding that the silencer was too close to the fuel pipe from the bottom of the tank. I bought another stepped connector, this time longer with a 20% bend from the invariably excellent 'Any Exhaust Part' Ebay emporium. This took the silencer well away but I still added an ally heat shield. Belt and braces, as ever.

The bulb socket and terminals in the number plate lamp didn't inspire confidence, so I fabricated another LED 'bulb'. This consists of four white 12v LEDs Araldited together in an ally mount which I riveted to the body of the lamp. The 60s style reversing lamp also has one of these concoctions.

I'm waiting on two new 4" instrument dash gaskets before I can bolt the dash back and crack on with connecting the front loom to everything.

Regards, Mick