View Single Post
Old 10th May 2016, 15:21

ThatAmericanChap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
I will be smug in the knowledge that I've spent many tens of thousands less than Lynx/Dee Type owners, and millions less than those with the real thing, and I'll be having just as much, if not more fun.

Regards, Mick

That's exactly what this is about - having fun.

To Chris
: here's exactly what we were chatting about on the phone yesterday. Mick will take his car out and thrash it, exactly as I do. This poor thing:

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...etti-model.jpg

crossed thirty million Dollars at auction. Look at it sitting there on the auction floor, all shiny and bright, whilst onlookers poke and prod it as though it were some sort of alien beast. If cars have feelings, this is a very unhappy car. It would have no desire to stand still this way while somewhere, other cars - even the sloppy, trundling Rolls and Bentleys in which these pokers and prodders arrived - are moving along as cars were meant to do. This car has no need to be admired while it sits still like some foolish, useless sculpture - look at it - it's only ever wanted one thing: to be thrashed down the Mulsanne until the needle's stuck down on the pin on its 300kph speedometer, then jammed into the corner with its tyres smoking as though Apollyon himself were chasing it. It isn't dead, but it might never again be alive in the way that cars should be.

To all: take them out and thrash them. Use both feet in the corners, and the clutch be damned. Flat spot the tyres, stone chip the rockers and cover the valence with gravel rash. Get them out on some forgotten, hilly back road, with all feet in the air. When they break, fix them; when they're in fine fettle, thrash them until they do break, and then start the process again. Almost doubtless, they're only cars, and have no feelings whatsoever - but then again, what if they do?