View Single Post
Old 21st October 2018, 06:23

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Friday's Progress

Help was available early, so off with the body which I rolled over to drill the radius arm bracket holes. The outlines I'd marked more or less blind proved to accurately match the mounting plate profile on both sides, so I was happy to proceed in the knowledge that rear wheel alignment would be within manufacturer's tolerances.

Once I'd drilled the eight 6mm holes I turned her right side up and made stiff card templates of the disposition of the cockpit side holes to use marking out the sandwich plates. Help was then leaving so we replaced the body.

I then turned my attention to the silencer, which I'd earlier offered up to the long under body pipe to find that the tail pipe stuck out a good foot. Its mounting bracket was also exactly under where the floor meets the back body, so I decided to cut the long pipe back as far as possible. The required cut's location was right under the rear frame crossmember: I briefly considered removing the long pipe but instead plumped for taking the side handle off my angle grinder, starting the cut with a worn down disc, and finishing it with a new one. After tidying the edges with files I replaced the silencer. Some six or seven inches will need to come off the tail pipe which I'll do on the bench to ensure a tidy cut. It's also a little too low so my centre hanger will need re-thinking.

That was it for the day.

Regards, Mick