View Single Post
Old 21st July 2012, 18:42

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Amazing what you can get done when the rain holds off for a few hours...

Framework Update:
Apparently when I left the frame outside for the paint to dry it was hit by more than just rain...

Hopefully this "offering" from above is a sign of good luck for my build.

Body Shell - Part 1:
I've finally reached the point of new return in the process of dismantling my donor.
I can't remove the body shell without disconnecting all the things that are currently working fine.
So I fired up the engine & drove the car inside my drive for the last time as a Spitfire (or sorts).
My girls wanted "a lift", so after one took this photo, they both climbed on board.
As I don't need to restore anything, I will try to get everything reconnected & working again ASAP.

Reading about WorldClassAccident's fire reminded me to start by disconnecting the battery!
Although creating a similar space for the battery in the Cordite bulkhead is still on the "to do" list.
( I've already got a few ideas after seeing how DonnySoutherner built a box for his. )

My eldest daughter provided the extra hand I needed to hold a spanner on one side of the bulkhead.
This allowed me to work on the other side to remove the bolts holding the gearbox tunnel in place.
There is a small crack in the cover (near brace in photo), but that shouldn't be too hard to fix.
I am currently planning to reuse the Spitfire gearbox cover with the Cordite bulkhead if it fits.
Note: "After" photo was taken just as I finished for the day as I forgot to do it at the time.

Removing the steering wheel was easy as I'd already discovered the retaining nut was missing.
( A new replacement nut from Rimmer Bros. has already been ordered & delivered )
However, my donor did come with a 14" Moto-Lita three spoke wooden steering wheel.
So I guess the previous owner started the job of swapping them over, but didn't finish it.

Thankfully all the wires around the steering column are in self contained connecting blocks.
This allowed me to remove the main switch unit intact, will remove wiper switch later.
This gave me better access to remove the final section of the dash board.
I will reuse speedo & rev.counter, so once again I was taking notes & photos + attaching labels.
Removed choke cable after disconnecting it from the carbs. & indicator warning light was easy too.

I've got slightly stuck on the hazard warning light as I can't see what keeps it in the dash.
( I'll have another look at the manual at some point as it can stay in the dash for now )
I disconnected the heater controls, but couldn't see how to get the driver's side vent out.
Although as I look closely at the size of the heater, I need to confirm I'm going to use one.
( My initial thought was it would be handy for slow moving traffic if the engine over heated )

I then switched to the engine bay to remove the rest of the wiring loom.
Again, more photos and notes, but this was actually pretty straight forward.
Although I do keep finding random wires not connected to anything.
So I have marked them as such and will double check against the wiring diagram later.
Eventually I was able to pull the whole loom out and that is a scary sight...

At this point I did a bit of "tidying up" as I want to get a good price for the body shell.
This black underlay / sound proofing stuff was all over the cabin floor & very messy.
One corner had a, still wet, paint stripping 'blob' underneath it which was a pain to get off.
I want to ensure any buyer can see the metal work is very sound all round.
Although I've found a few rough areas which were simply covered by interior trim.

Next Steps:
With a bit of luck I'll get a few more hours on the car tomorrow too.
At some point I need to pick up some wheel ramps from a mate which might help.
I'm actually pleased with how quickly I've got to this stage in actual hours worked.
Unfortunately the weather has stretched those few hours across many weeks.

Still, progress is progress, so until next time, cheers, Paul.

Replies:
DonnySoutherner - My methodical approach is driven by a deep rooted fear of messing it all up!
Which is why I owe you some beer Simon for blazing a trail for me to follow with your own build thread.
Mister Towed & DaveCymru - There are signs of "home improvements" in my wiring too.
So I will remove all the wrapping and have a proper look at everything when I thin the loom out.

Last edited by Paul L; 10th September 2019 at 06:28..