View Single Post
Old 4th December 2017, 13:50

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking Progress (sort of) at last.

After six weeks or so of coughing, spluttering, looking at the rain/frost/wind and wondering why my get-up-and-go had got up and gone, I at last ventured down to the cave this morning and pitched in.

First job was to drill the long awaited headlamp bowl mounting holes in the GRP pods. This involved levelling the car with my spirit level on the front cross member with one side jacked up to get the bubble central, then using a plumb line to find and mark the vertical. I'd already marked the exact tops of the bowls so drilling was a matter of holding them with the marks aligned. I then temporarily mounted them for the picture. The parallax effect makes them look a little pissed but they're spot on.

My ex-neighbour turned up at this juncture for a coffee and a chin wag so it was a couple of hours before I ventured back down to the cave. I decided to fabricate a steady bracket for my reversing spot lamp, as I'm certain it would go seriously AWOL if I relied solely on the bottom mounting. I made it from cardboard and transferred the holes and bends to a spare length of the ally strip I'd used for the fuel tank mounting straps. I then pop-riveted it to the back of the lamp housing and after a couple of small adjustments to the bends, it sat perfectly. The mounting hole in the body will have to wait as access for the inside nuts needs a spare pair of hands, unavailable today.

I included the back of the lens in the shot to show my home-made LED bulb which will ensure minimal load on the lengthy supply cable.

That was it for the day.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 4th December 2017 at 13:55..