View Single Post
Old 17th June 2017, 05:34

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Molleur – Cheers.

Despite the small paint reacting problems, it does feel like I‘ve now broken the back of this work.

Plus the fact the boot lid flatted back so well gives me some hope for the body shell.
( As the BRG should cover any minor imperfections in the surface. )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

But is it art?
I’ve definitely spent too long working in the sun recently.

Because, as I was messing up the high build primer on the body shell, I kept thinking about Mr T’s ‘dirty black’ TR8 example.

It was getting to the point where I was trying to work out what was the roughest finish I could get away with?

Thankfully, some time spent in the shade (and sanding the boot lid) brought me back to my basic plan of aiming for the best finish I can get.

However, last night, I did some searching on Google to see if there were any good examples of hand painted race cars.

Where this photo of Andy Warhol with a big brush in his hand caught my eye.

A bit more searching gave me his BMW M1 racing at Le Mans in 1979.

Before I ended up with this video clip combining his approach to car painting, some 24 hour racing and some art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-B6tYPVDHQ

The key fact for me was that it took him just 24 minutes to paint the whole car!

Obviously, not giving a monkey’s uncle about the smoothness of the paint finish really helps to speed things up.

So perhaps I should have spent more time watching an artist at work, rather than a narrow boat painter.

Cheers, Paul.