View Single Post
Old 21st June 2017, 06:13

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Roadster – Cheers Mark.

I’ve certainly tried to get the best finish possible given both the limited time available and my ‘facilities’.

I know the paint will be far from perfect, but I will be genuinely happy with a ‘half decent’ finish.

Once the paint is polished and the racing numbers added, there will be definitely be a trip to Norfolk and a movie sequel.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Possible Painting Breakthrough:
I was searching Google yesterday trying to find out how long to leave the BRG to harden before sanding/cutting/etc.

Note: I’d still be happy to hear some suggestions from anyone on here who knows the answer to that.

Anyway, a link to an old (2012) thread from Rods ‘n’ Sods about using synthetic paint popped up and I found this…

Quote:
… also forgot to say, if a coat dries to the point its not tacky do not add another coat as it has now 'skinned'. if you apply more as it dries it shrinks and will crack the 'skin' on the previous coat giving a snakeskin look! ask me how i know
At which point, a light bulb went on.

It was definitely over 80 degrees in the Circus Tent when I was painting the boot lid yesterday.

I forgot to mention that I did try the ‘two brush’ canal boat painting trick for the first time and it was hopeless.

I’d actually got the paint on pretty nicely using the first brush, as there were few visible brush marks.

But by the time I pulled the ‘dry’ brush through, it simply ruined the surface finish.

Which, in turn, lead me to adding more paint over the top.
( Something I’ve done to numerous areas previously whenever I spotted a thin patch. )

So I now believe that ‘operator error’ is the most likely cause for the paint reacting, rather than anything else.

I will certainly be very conscious of this when I start painting the painting the body shell and see if it makes a difference.

Neighbours
I also keep forgetting to mention some of the conversations I’ve been having with people passing by as I prep. the car.

Without doubt, the most common theme from any of my ‘regulars’ is along the lines of “What went wrong?”

As anyone who has seen me driving the car on the road can’t believe it is now on blocks looking a mess.

One lady with a pram stopped for a chat yesterday and seemed unusually interested in what I was doing.

But when she said “My son still talks about the day he went for a drive in your car” the penny dropped.

As I’ve only really seen her son with his granny, not with his parents, but it did make me smile.

Anyway, I hope to be back later with another car update, cheers, Paul.