View Single Post
Old 9th January 2012, 00:00
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Talking Engine Started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

With many many thanks to Nigel I have wired up and started my engine First Time after lying dormant for 5 years.

I have taken a video of it spluttering in to life (rather noisily) at the first attempt: it does get quieter honestly!

It was with mixed feelings when it struck up. I had primed the oil filter housing, but it still took an age for the oil pressure to build up. Even then it sounded like a bag of nails, which was really disappointing given that I heard it run the day before it was removed and it was silky smooth. It was so noisy I thought it was not running on all 6 cylinders. There was a horrible mechanical ticking sound - more than tappets? So I was quite concerned.
However, letting it tick over for a few minutes and get hot obviously helped and noticably quietened down.
I've now run it several times just for a few minutes each time, as the electric fan has not been wired in, and it soon starts to boil. Each time it has become quieter, so now it seems to purr just like I hoped it would. 6 cylinder engines are so silky smooth.

Whooopppppeee! - another M50 engine brought back to life.

Special thanks must go to Nigel for the guidance and directions on the wiring.
And thanks to you all for the support and general knowledge and ideas that I have cribbed along the way. It is greatly appreciated.

Yours,
Happy Boy Mike