View Single Post
Old 10th January 2012, 09:17
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Congratulations mike,it's a great feeling when the heart starts beating! Interesting point about the ecu memory.I have fitted a cut off switch which cuts my live feed at battery level.I remove this after all work on the car....could this affect or be a cause for my rough idle on start up...shouldnI keep a separate live to the ecu, even when all else is cut off?
Hi Jeremy

I have disconnected my earth several times since the first start up procedure, and it seems to start and run very well immediately, so may be there is no learning process? However, my first start up clearly shows there is more than just oil pressure build up involved, as you can hear that come in after just 5 seconds: it continued to sound awful for the first 2-3 minutes, becoming progressively quieter as it warmed up. I suspect it was down to the Vanos starting to work as the oil temperature warmed up, as it is actuated through oil pressure. But the truth is I do not really know!
However, it now starts from cold and purrs beautifully straight away, just as you would wish.

Did your auto electrician wire in your coolant original senders, plus the data links, and use the Instrument cluster "brain"? It would be very useful to know, if you can find out?

The BMW wiring diagrams show the ECU/DME fitted with a permanent live so I plan to take this direct to the battery. I will also take a lightly fused supply for the clock and radio. I then plan to fit an isolator switch in the main starter feed as an anti theft deterrent, and reduced risk of a major short.

But, please don't take a lot of note of my electrical plans as I know nothing!