View Single Post
Old 8th March 2017, 05:57

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking Another Fine Day

Another early start yesterday. My son wasn't around to help remove the body, so I decided to cut the spring bolt access hole in the panel I made yesterday. More careful measuring and re-measuring (it's not unknown for me to make real howlers!) before carefully drilling 8mm corner holes down a 4mm pilot hole from both sides to prevent splintering. Joined them up with the jigsaw and was quite pleased with the result.

In order to cut the vertical step panel for the boot floor I needed to temporarily locate yesterday's effort. Luckily, the steel strip I'd bought for strapping the rear body to the chassis had arrived with a nice length of door stop supporting it. I cut two short lengths for the sides and wood screwed the three through the body.

My son still hadn't surfaced so I turned my attention to the steering. The UJ between the rack and column had seen better days and, when searching on line for an overhaul kit (which is still available) I came across an upgrade in the form of a proper Hooke Joint, which I bought. A previous owner had drilled a very accurate hole in the bulkhead and I was able to connect together the standard column, extension, joint and rack, supporting the top end on blocks and scraps of wood until I was satisfied with the alignment. I marked the dash so I can work out the top bracket with the column out to enable body removal.

My thoughts then turned to the diff so I inserted my vacuum pump into the filler hole and sucked. Nothing, apart from a rusty looking smear of some indeterminate liquid on the pipe's end. I decided a drain hole was needed to further investigate. Jack up, axle stand, 4mm pilot hole, 5mm hole, (Cobalt bits - brilliant!) then 6mm tap. Some more of the above juice seeped out so I screwed in a suitable M6 bolt and pondered the best flushing medium to rinse the inside - any ideas?

Body removal assistant had emerged so I could turn my attention to more woodwork. It was a simple matter to wedge the floor up against the strips, balance the ply in position, mark and cut it out. Just then the nice man from Interlink Express arrived with my P700 replicas - how cool will they look? I love them on my A352

Again pleased with progress I packed up and called it a (successful) day.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 8th March 2017 at 08:25..