View Single Post
Old 29th May 2016, 20:54

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
Thanks for replying with out any sarcasm,

Their are issues with the kits, quite a few if I am being honest, Chris is aware that at some point in the future he will have to do a correction and produce a better set of moulds.

This will of course be his decision, as after all it is his train set, and of course depending weather or not the order book continues to fill up.

The original buck needed a lot more time spent on it before sending it off to be moulded.

As regards price, I purchased a new GT40 body late last year, it was £4500, it did not come with the windows or the roof support that you get with the Tribute 250 Coupe.

However, it is a much more involved shell to produce, and of course a lot more of it is on show as the front and rear clip open for access, Jag mentioned that when he cut out the bonnet vent the GRP was uneven, he thought this was normal but a skilled laminator would not have this issue.

The quality of my GT40 shell was fantastic, you could razor the flash lines off and polish them up, when you see the work that goes in to the moulds you can see why they are so good, plus the guy doing the laminating has over 20 years experience.

I got in before the price rise on my kit, their are times when it is very frustrating knowing it could of been produced to a better standard, but when I leave the work shop at the end of the day and look back at the car I do believe the hurdles will be worth it as it is a great looking car.

I do hope Chris doesn't read this and think I am stirring the shite, Or unhappy with my kit. I am being as honest as I can and it is of course only my opinion of things, others may be different.

Just to add, I paid £1300 for my doner, and got back a measly £320 for all the old bits, including the wheels and tyres, to be honest I was lazy and valued the space more than the cash.

This is how the GT40 front and rear clips have the width gap set, they mould the outer skins 1st, then before they bond in the inner skins they "set" the gap with a simple piece of wood clamped across the outer skin,they don't do this in the mould as they would never get the completed clip out.

This is Jag's thread, if he thinks i am spamming it up and wants me to remove anything then please just let me know.

I think the Tribute range can be and are on the whole being built to a very high standard. Like I said earlier, if you can do most of the work yourself then that's going to save you a lot on the build. For me, I get as much pleasure from building a car as I do from owning it and driving it. With IVA rules I think the rebody / panel swop kits will become the norm over the more complex , traditional build from the ground up type kits. To that end I think the quality of the rebody kits will improve especially as such kits increase in cost. I can't see how the current Tribute pricing will continue without VAT being applied. It must be close now so we can expect a further 20% or £1k rise on the Koupe kit, depends if Tribute pass it on to customers or absorb it themselves .