View Single Post
Old 20th June 2017, 19:27

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Lots of little jobs being achieved and some larger ones too ...

fuel tank went back in , filler neck and new sender added and then Grahams fuel cap fitted using an adaptor ring that my engineering mate made to get it down to Spitfire tank size .....The large cap looks great ...

I've also panelled in the tunnel on the inside using aluminium and fitted a top section ...Right pig of a job to do after fitting the frame !!

The rear bulkhead has had its hatch cut and some wooden baton fitted around the opening to brace it and create a stepped lip to fit the hatch lid to ...this has been fitted to the floorpans using an angled piece of steel pop rivetted in place , its fibreglassed and sikaflex'd to the body sides and sikaflex'd and rivetted at the top ...

I've still got to dress the edges and put some detail in around handbrake etc...but it gives you an idea of where it's going ....

The bulkhead panel has now been fully fitted to the front also , glued and rivetted around its perimeter and glued and rivetted to the bulkhead / body too ...

I made a start on inner rear arches too ...I have made the outer section that braces the body and ties it to the frame both sides ...I will add a lower section at a later date and also tie them to the rear of the bulkhead with a removable panel to access the harnesses , if required .... the outer sections have been fully glassed in ...

Whilst the fibreglass was being thrown about - today was not a great day for glassing ! I made the 4 x tubes to accept the rear lights ...made in the traditional way of placing 4 x Pringle tube halves on an aluminium sheet , glassing around them and onto the sheet to give a top lip ..then cutting 4 discs from flatsheet and rivetting them to the lip to make a little pot ... ( Actually Lidls versions of Pringles - other stackable crisps are available ..)

Tomorrow should see me making a start on fitting these into the rear of the body along with further progress ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 20th June 2017 at 19:36..