View Single Post
Old 29th March 2013, 11:29

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Body Shell Preparation - Continued:
I had a chance to make an early start, but didn't want to disturb the peace, so I picked "quiet" jobs.
I started by applying a liberal coating of WD40 to the last 2 rear bumper brackets & the seat belt mounts.
While I left them to soak, I started to clean / degrease the front bulk head area which has stuff caked on.
I also removed a few more of the remaining bits & pieces still attached to the shell.
By the time I'd got the bumper brackets & seat belts off the pile of "stuff" in the middle was building up.

I will go thought this later & put any potentially useful bits in a box.
I'll also put the windscreen (wrapped in the dust sheet) & cut out metal in the shed for now.

One seat belt bracket is rusted in completely and the floor it is attached to is coming away too.
So I'll cut that out when I start making noise after lunch.

One of the bumper brackets was also pretty stuck in, but did come out eventually.
Unfortunately it revealed another huge rusty area...

Poking around with a screwdriver also revealed a large amount of mastic type sealant.
In some cases this has protected the metal behind, in others it has helped rot the metal.

But the most unusual discovery during my rust removal work was this...

Don't ask me what a sanitary towel was doing jammed inside the rear wing.

Well there doesn't seem to be much to show for my morning's work.
But I will clean up more of the body work this afternoon with a wire brush on my drill.

I just need to warm up a bit.

Cheers, Paul.