View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2019, 20:00

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

I managed to get most of the vinyl completed on the passenger side today. Those who’ve followed my thread since the beginning will be aware that the passenger side of the kit is often described as the “ugly sister” to the drivers side ... lets just say there are quite a few imperfections in the sills/door mouldings compared to the drivers side.

Anyway it meant that the measurements I’d used for the large blue vinyl wrap piece for the door on the drivers side were a bit out when it came to the passenger side. Luckily it needed to be slightly smaller to line up and get the angles right rather than bigger so no wasted vinyl in the end.

I also added back the correct sticker/decals for the sill on this side.

Looking back over the pictures I’d taken with the car outside, I realised earlier in the week that I’d not got the black Pirelli stickers on the rear bumper centred between the outer grilles - I think I’d centred them on the lights but on the original cars they seem to be centred against the lower grille. Pedantic I know, but I had a spare set so decided if a job is worth doing it’s worth doing properly.

New number plates fitted ... decided to stick these on rather than drill them. Will see how the pads hold up but may need to go back and drill them later ... you can just about see it in the pic above and the one below :-)

Will get the car out of the garage to have a closer inspect in the light tomorrow as there are a few rough edges I need to tidy up, particularly where the rear screen buts up to the blue vinyl, and the recesses for the door handles on each door.

I then need to get back to my remaining list of jobs as they sort of went on hold whilst I replaced the Plasti Dip with the vinyl. If I remember them it’s largely around fitting the mudflaps and sorting the interior out. I’m also thinking I should reinforce the door mirror mounts as there’s a bit of movement in them. I also want to run a black line along the centre indent in the panels - should have really done this before I applied the coloured vinyl but I’ll find a way of getting this fitted - going to try a 9mm vinyl strip first but may end up having to resort to paint.

Last edited by SwiftyDS; 2nd October 2019 at 20:04..