View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:03

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Nibbling away......

This past week I've been chipping away at some of the minor purchasing and fabricating tasks. After reversing the top seatbelt mountings, I've been unhappy with my seat back, so decided to make a replacement. As the body is far from symmetrical, I made it in two halves to sit inside the rear body lip, and was pleased with the outcome. I next cut the two squab bottoms which again were asymmetrical. I then bought the 3" thick hard foam which is coming today.

My 2mm thick steel plate for the wing stay backing plates having arrived, I disced it into eight and drilled the 8mm fixing holes. Fortunately, I'd checked the hole spacings on the wing stay flanges, which clearly hadn't been drilled on a jig, so I numbered everything in pairs. I'll trial mount the wings and post a picture when weather allows.

Yesterday I bit the bullet and decided to trial mount the aeroscreens. As they're quite heavy and unwieldy, I cut a strip of ply to get the spacing of the mounts right without chucking one of the screens on the floor in a moment of inattention .

Once the bolts were nipped up I substituted the real thing.

Happy with this, I did the passenger side.

I then cut the backing plates for their mountings and quit while I was ahead. Once back in the warm, I bought a Spitfire gear stick gaiter. I used them on both my Marlin and A352 as they have a retro look.

That was it for the day.

Regards, Mick