View Single Post
Old 14th February 2013, 20:01
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Well, I've just been down to the garage again, and taken off the ECU & steel mounting bracket (pig - bolts stuck, heads made of plasticine). This makes it narrower toward the output end, like yours Mike.

Offering it up in the foot well, it starts to look as if it may fit, but then I realise it still got to go up a couple of inches into the plane of the existing column - and that's when the motor either fouls side of the foot well, pedal box or my centre console and heater.

I'm convinced its a non starter now. It may be a goer for someone who hasn't got all this in the way yet and can engineer round it without too much effort, but I'm not going to start pulling out my heater & console or jump through hoops modifying the pedal box just to get a bit of assistance at stand-still.

All my research is still sound though. Im not too bothered about the 2nd BMW column I bought, as I can strip, that for spares. And the bits I machined where good practice, and may helps someone else out.

So offer still stands - Corsa EPAS Column up for grabs, and I have a Vauxhall ABS pulse amplifier if anyone wants to try driving the speed dependant portion from an abs reluctor ring.