View Single Post
Old 28th March 2017, 19:31

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Smile GRP & Dash

Today, as the morning weather forecast was good, I decided to do some work on the rear body, where the petrol tank will eventually sit. I temporarily re-fitted the second piece of floor to the inverted body, and attempted to manoeuvre the petrol tank through the hole I had cut in the seat back area, This was to help me decide whether to make the floor permanent or removable in the event of tank maintenance or replacement at some future date. It almost not quite fitted through the aperture so I decided on permanent, as only an additional thin sliver would need to be removed. I took the floor back out and, as you can see, the rear body is far from symmetrical.

I then cleaned the areas that I was going to repair, first with production paper, then acetone to ensure surgical cleanliness. Where the bottom of the skin in front of the wheel arch meets the seat back there was a nasty crack and split, and another split at the bottom of the opposite corner. I filled the former with a wedge of U-Pol. When this had cured I bridged both cracks with two layers of mat and resin. I'll add another two when weather permits.

While the GRP kit was out I decided to cover the bottoms of the redundant mounting holes with more mat and resin, following the same cleaning regime. I now only have to tape over my two holes of a night whilst it's inverted on the grass. I'll wait until I'm good and sure that the wood sandwiched in the floor is dry before sealing the other side.

The nice man had delivered my dashboard blank yesterday. The same friend who turned my A352 wheel spigots and steering wheel boss laser cut it for me. Top bloke! I decided I'd trial fit the clocks, switches and lights to boost enthusiasm and was very pleased with the look of it. I won't cut the top profile until I've fitted the upper steering column mounting as it may slightly affect positioning. The top two on the left are dip switch and horn; the outer two beneath, accessory socket and lights. The indicator switch looks as though it fouls the oil pressure gauge, but it's well clear.

By this time black clouds were piling up and another nice man had just delivered the plywood I'm boarding my daughter's loft with tomorrow. The 8'x4' sheets have to be jig-sawn down to 4'x2' to fit through the hatch. This was my last job of the day.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 28th March 2017 at 19:39..