View Single Post
Old 7th October 2018, 17:56

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Prescott or Repairs?

Once the early frost had melted, I uncovered the A352 and decided which of the above to pursue. I'd been to the US themed Prescott meeting once before and, having been underwhelmed, I plumped for repairing the floppy gear change which manifested itself last weekend. I unscrewed the gear knob, drilled out the four rivets, and removed the gaiter. This revealed that the large spring had eaten its way through the nylon retaining cup, as expected.

I'd already bought the repair kit so I sorted out the bits I needed, removed the old ones and began re-assembly. When building, I'd cut and shut the gear stick to replicate the forward angled look of a D-Type's and found, to my dismay, that I couldn't force the cup over the weld in situ, so decided to remove the stick. I'd built in an access panel in anticipation during construction, so, drilling out three of its four rivets and swivelling it out of the way, I just about managed to manoeuvre my hands in, remove the small retaining bolt, and take the lever down to the cave

I ground the sharp top edge off the spring, and a little of the weld, clamped it in the vice, and used a ring spanner and hammer to gently tap the cup into position.

Reassembly was straightforward apart from the fiddle of replacing the bolt with such limited access. A quick test drive confirmed all was now well .

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 8th October 2018 at 06:51.. Reason: Typo