View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:39

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Can i fill the small holes with weld? and if so, whats the technique?
yes you can. I am assuming you are MIG-ing it.
You will need to do it in short bursts. Work around the edge of the hole and that will give you something to bridge the gap. Again, don't be afraid of holding the arc in one stop to let it puddle. you will get good penetration of the weld then.

If you are filling holes you made whilst welding then this is fine, if you are looking to fill small rusty holes then it may be better to put on a small plate as you will find the small hole will grow and grow!

As mentioned, it is sometimes better to cut out the rusty bits and put on a plate about 10mm bigger than the hole, so when you waxoyl the box section, it will get where it is going to protect the plate. Otherwise the waxoly will sit on the inside of the rusty bits and not get on your new plate.

It may also be worth getting hold of some "seam-sealer" (I use the U-POL P88 stuff) which is brushed on like a thick paint over the welds and adds another layer of protection before you paint. It can be painted into the nooks and crannies that the MIG gun won't reach.