View Single Post
Old 27th October 2018, 07:44

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Bits and Pieces.

Finishing off my handbrake linkage was a task I'd been putting off, as even the original Spitfire installation when working perfectly was little more than marginal. I re-thought the mounting for the multiplier lever using ¾" box and ½" rod. Careful drilling, sawing, filing, bolting and cotter pinning resulted in this masterpiece, which will be bolted through the inside of the body tunnel.

My next job was to bend the top of the gear stick back a couple of inches as my knuckles hit the dash in reverse, 1st and 3rd. After removal, I clamped the base firmly in the vice, slipped a piece of narrow steel tube over the top to protect the thread, then an 18" length of ¾" box. I was surprised just how easily it bent. Reassembly confirmed my knuckles were now safe.

Next job was to make an easily removable panel for the master cylinder access hole. I looked at Dzus fasteners but was put off by the price. I hit on the idea of using Rivnuts, some of which I had left over from my A352 build. I cut a couple of lengths of 3mm x 25mm aluminium flat, fitted the Rivnuts, then drilled and rivetted them into position.

Careful measuring, cutting and drilling had the cover plate fabricated. I'll stick some rubber strip to the back of the edges sometime to ensure wind and waterproofing.

While the Machine Mart tin snips were out I decided to make one of the plates to tidy up the massive suspension holes cut in the body by a previous builder. Cardboard Assisted Design resulted in this which I'll rivet on with its unmade as yet siblings after painting.

Regards, Mick