View Single Post
Old 5th March 2015, 22:12

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road
Default Un-planned extra task

I never liked the hinges on the Berlinetta. They were ugly and ill-conceived.

Because of the way my new engine side panels worked, I needed to take the side panels back to the front of the doors. That meant cutting out for the hinges. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I wanted to make concealed hinges. Far neater and more functional. OK the doors won't open to 90º but who needs 90º door opening anyway.

So, rather reluctantly I bit the bullet. I was reluctant because my experience of this type of hinge is limited to say the least. However, I am very pleased about how they have worked out. It has taken me three days to do it, but I think it has been worth the effort. The doors still open to about 60º, which I think is enough, especially given how wide they are.

I used some off-cuts of 2" box section and several cutting disks! The doors are now more adjustable than they were and close more nicely. The channel is drilled and tapped and bolted to the inner panel of the door. I need to fit door check straps to prevent damage to the side panels.

This is what the original hinges look like at the n/s door:

This the 'after' pic with the new side panel in position with the door hung on my new hinges:

This is with the door open to about maximum:

The actual hinge, dismantled:

This is with the hinge in the fully open position with the side panel removed to show the cut out in the hinge:

Perhaps I can get back to the tasks of finishing the fuel supply pipes and making the bonnet now...

Yesterday evening I had a session on my friends lathe. I made a 'Y' piece union for the fuel pipe, I modded my angle grinder nut so it would grip the 1mm cutting disks properly and I made a threaded insert for my Marlin gear lever knob.

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 5th March 2015 at 22:18..