View Single Post
Old 7th March 2015, 22:36

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

A brilliant day today, I closed off a few minor tasks and started the bonnet!

I soldered and fitted the fuel union I made on Wednesday. It takes the output from the two fuel pumps and connects them to the main feed to the engine.

The fuel pumps are connected to separate suction tubes, one reaching almost to the bottom of the tank, which will be used as standby and reserve, the other pump's suction tube is shorter by about 30mm and will be regarded as the 'main' pump so it will run out leaving a reserve of about 30mm which should be a useful standby.

Here are a couple of pix of the bonnet, only the off side today, tomorrow I intend to do the near side. I formed the curve and toe gentle radios at the back of the panel on the English wheel with a rubber band on the top wheel. It worked really well although I do have some tracking marks, I think they will blend out as I continue to finish the body. They only show on close examination.

I was concerned about the transition from the flat section at the front of the panel to a 1200mm radius at the back where it sits in the rebate at the front of the scuttle. It seems to have come out perfectly.