View Single Post
Old 8th March 2015, 08:25

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Thank you most kindly! I am hugely relieved the bonnet is working out. I came across some photographs of a Royale yesterday, this has thrown me into something of a dilemma. The Royale bonnet has a fold down of the panel at the hinge, avoiding having a row of rivets each side of the hinge. However, if I am to benefit from Scotties example, the detail is everything. It makes up for other shortcomings in the build which are impossible to achieve.

I am trying to make the car more like the original1930 Alfa Romeo cars, upon which they were originally (loosely) based, they have nice round head solid rivets along the hinges. They can be seen in many photographs I have of the original cars.

You make a very good point about the fuel pipes. They are unsupported at present, I have been considering how best to support them neatly because the whole fuel pump area is becoming a mess. I had originally tried to keep it simple and neat but with the pumps, pipes, filters and 'stuff' it's lost it's tidy appearance. I may devise a bracket from the side of the tub, or perhaps a longer piece of metal under the pipe. I am now wondering if the solid mounting under the union was such a good idea... I may replace it with a rubber bobbin to de-stress the pipe, or even leave it un-mounted. I had liked the idea of a solid mounting but now realise that will cause the copper pipes to flex, work hardening the metal and possibly leading to a fracture, with potentially catastrophic consequences.

I still have to make the fuel filler connection, another 'unknown' I have yet to decide how I am to achieve that. I didn't like the way it was mounted originally, far too close to the boot lid aperture.

I am considering boxing the fuel pump area off with an easily removable panel, both for neatness and safety, preventing them from being damaged by any loose objects in the boot.