View Single Post
Old 10th March 2015, 19:01

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Sorry my contributions here are a bit gappy, I have been working on the car since first thing, dragged myself away for a dish of Kedgeree which I threw together, I am off back out now to finish off a couple of tasks which have been put off to often...

Paul, thanks for the complements, close up it's not as good as I would like but I am sure it will do what I need.

Robin, My preferred material would have been Kunifer, 10% nickel and copper, it's much tougher than copper. I had several rolls but due to lack of space I gave a lot of that gear away to friends. I used to have a really well equipped workshop and store with everything I needed but due to things beyond my control I had to give much of it up, my greatest loss is not having my own lathe any more. Eventually I may replace the fuel and brake lines with better material. I have to discover if this car is really suitable for what I need before I start refining it. My priority is to get it on the road.

Thanks for the compliment on the pictures, I try to take some which may help others understand there are many roads to Rome. I am overcome with the bonnet, it was so easy to roll, I am sure with more experience and a bit more patience I could have made a better job but I think it will hold together!

I have finished fitting the bonnet, I still have to set the rivets but I am waiting until the w/e when I have some more hands to help. I think I will need a lot of help to set the rivets, 23 each side for the central hinge, plus a similar number in the engine side panels. I am toying with the idea of peening them with my air hammer. I dug it out last night and it appears to be rusted up, the trigger is seized so I think some thin oil and a bit of encouragement may be needed.

While I enjoy contributing here, my priority is to get the car on the road ASAP, it's hung too long. So off out to get some more done. If I still have any energy I will post a pic or two when I get back in.

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 11th March 2015 at 06:49..