View Single Post
Old 26th March 2024, 23:56

1iTim is on a distinguished road

Hi mate, good to hear youre at that stage. I have the original starter motor and its fine when warm and primed, but it disengages whenever the engine half catches, so pretty irritating to try start sometimes, Thinking of getting a modern one but trying to only spend needed money. these cars are mechanically very simple. get a service kit with points etc and you should be good unless theres some surprises like stuck pistons, or diz problems (mine had been reasembled wrong, and did not have its bob weights fitted)

I asked my engineer about body attachment, as i have heard you chaps talk about "bonding paste" whatever that is. His suggestion was selleys "sika-bond foamfix +" which is an expanding adhesive that he said would be good, and would absorb shock, and would expand to pretty much all the metal frame (straight) to fibreglass (curved). Rather than put paste or glue on and drop the body over, I have measured and chocked and measured and re-measured (and have one more remeasure to do now i see that the left tail ligghts look a smidge lower than the right) and have bolted the body on prior to using the foam glue.

For the bolts, i have drilled through the body in 2 points a side by the bonnet, 2 or 3 across the dash, 3 places in the door sills, three places in the back just behind the seats, two at the rear near the tank, and 2 on each side, with stainless m5 countersunk hex bolts, and tapped into the metal bodysubframe.

these bolt threads I covered in moly grease so the glue wont grab them, so i can then glue it up without the stress of sitting the body on wrong. the countersunk heads look ok too, but they may get removed and filled - not sure.

really i need to get back onto this don't I?

best, Tim