View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2019, 08:42

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Question Coffin Dodger Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
Next job: fit the sender to the 'refurbished' Mini fuel tank. This 'refurbishment' clearly hadn't extended to straightening the butchered locating lugs. Despite the once again limited access I managed to tap and bend them into shape and fit the sender. I decided to test it for leaks but then realised I'd need flexi pipe on the outlet stub. I measured this, the metal pipe through the frame and the unions on the mechanical pump, all at 8mm, and bought on line the necessary, including clips.
Following the above, I put eight litres of fuel in the tank and was delighted to find the sender was leak free . For a reason I'll explain in a later post, I decided to drain it back into containers. Popping the end of the flexi hose into same, I took off the filler cap and - nothing? I removed the hose and blew through it - clear. I replaced it and blew - red face. So, a blockage of sorts. I decided to remove the tank to investigate, this done, and the fuel decanted through the filler hole, I took out the sender and surveyed the interior. Imagine my surprise to see the outlet pipe extended to the inside top of the tank with a filter on the end. Ah, I must need the anti-gravity fuel that doesn't exist. How can this possibly work?

I'm going to fit about ¾ of a hacksaw blade to my padsaw and chop it off to revert to gravity feed unless anyone can advise otherwise.

Regards, Mick