View Single Post
Old 21st August 2015, 12:23

Very Andy is on a distinguished road

Plastic Porsche said....

The internet is a terrible thing, and I am now spending far too much time on it

I have a 2.2 M54 engine z3 auto (personal choice) it came with air conditioning, and heated seats and being an m54 engines car I have fitted cruise control, 2 parts required, just plugs in.

Looking on all the Google sear areas and the BMWmini spares site, it appears that fitting a z4 rear drive flange/hub will bring the rear in by 20mm

The early lower powered e36/e46 3 series cars had solid rear discs which are 60.1 mm high and 280mm diameter as opposed to the z3 with 83mm high and 272mm diameter, handbrake shoes on the 3 series are same diameter but narrower, disc same machined area though

The calliper bracket mounting bolts are a standard M10 10.9 strength shouldered bolt, 26.5mm long,

If I bought some 30mm 10.9 bolts and put a 3mm shim between the caliper bracket and the hub to centralise the bracket on the disc, and turned a 3 series disc down to 272mm diameter this set up would appear to be good to go

This could potentially give a 40mm decrease in the rear track on the 6 cylinder wide bodied cars for not a lot of money - 2nd hand or new flanges, new wheel bearings, discs and some bolts:

Thoughts / views