View Single Post
Old 31st December 2017, 13:14

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

East coast fibreglass supplies I found to be very reasonable. I bought 2.5l as it was cost effective but you could start with just 1L.
Flowcoat is just gel coat but with wax added. You could buy gel coat and add the wax (just like adding the catalyst) which is very cheap. This way you have gel coat in case you need it as well.
You can get it cheaper in black or you can get it mixed to a RAL colour close to your final colour.

I buy 25 disposable 2" brushes from Ebay for under £10 and just chuck them. 4 pint milk bottles are ideal for mixing, I cut them so that the handle is still attached which makes a convenient place to hold it and you get to know how much resin/catalyst you need without having to be too exact. There is a picture somewhere on my build thread showing the milk bottle cut down.
I just put a thick coat on, as thick as you can without runs (easier said than done), you can go back and brush out any runs before it goes off. I changed my colour halfway through so had to put a second coat on, because of the wax which floats to the top to allow it to cure I washed the old flowcoat very thoroughly with meths to remove the wax.
You don't need to do under the rear clam but if any of it can be seen it looks much neater, if it is in an area that will get dirty it will make it much easier to clean if it has been flowcoated, personally for the small cost involved, I would flowcoat everything.