View Single Post
Old 20th April 2017, 15:14

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Cool Fuel Tank & Supports

Yesterday I took the Mini fuel tank over to my welder in the A352. It was the first time he'd seen the so-say 'D' and was impressed. I pointed out the bits he'd done: folding the transmission tunnel; welding the flip front hinge; the neck and blanking plate on the tank; the hand brake support; the gear lever; its mounting bracket and the extended gear change remote. I explained the jobs I wanted doing on the tank: he's busy at the moment after the holiday but will give me a ring next week when it's done.

Today I fabricated the rear boot floor section supports from 3mm x 25mm aluminium flat. There are five of them: two for each side and one for the back. They'll be attached with 4.8mm large headed rivets through from the outside of the body; the floor will be M8 bolted to them with penny washers each side. Having seen the structural engineer's calculation for the box beams in my cottage using wire ovals through ply (it was many tons shear force per nail), I'm confident that the 20 rivets will be more than secure.

That was it for today, apart from 'phoning my Spitfire breaker contact and ordering a large flanged propshaft and a fuel pipe, the hard plastic type. He's frequently up and down the M5 from Devon so they'll arrive in a week or two.

Regards, Mick