View Single Post
Old 19th April 2014, 18:46

swifty is on a distinguished road

Today progress was good, managed to trial fit the engine and gearbox before welding the engine brackets fully, also checked out the seating position to see where the type 9 gear change is and it looks good. The seat is balanced on top of a few breeze blocks to give me an idea of height etc.

IMG_4234.jpg

Engine bolted in with the gearbox whilst using a piece of wood to support the rear of the gearbox, the engine has about a 3 degree tilt backwards which i assume is ok.

IMG_4237.jpg IMG_4238.jpg

Removed the rotten front outriggers to weld in two new ones, i used a 1mm cutting disc in a angle grinder to carefully cut through the old rigger metal making sure i didn't go into the chassis, then ground back the old weld/rust ready to weld. Before removing the old riggers i took various measurements and angles to make sure the new ones are in the correct position.

IMG_4240.jpg IMG_4242.jpg

Lining up the new riggers using a large set square and tape measure double checking everything before i weld the riggers to the chassis. Finished article which went very well and will hopefully last another forty years.

Well i am nearly at the stage to strip the chassis completely and send off to be shot blasted, will also send all the suspension parts and diff etc before overhauling them. I still haven't decided on which colour to paint the chassis i do fancy something different to the standard black.

Well time to go and if the weathers good tomorrow then i will progress the project further getting ever closer to the finally.