View Single Post
Old 21st February 2017, 14:55

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Freeeedom

I had a look at the diff. section in the Haynes Manual and thought "what a fag". I knelt at the back of the chassis and started working the nose flange back and forth. At first it only moved a couple of degrees but with perseverance, huffing, puffing and cursing, it gradually worked loose until, after only two or three minutes it was completely free. Result!

Retro200 was therefore correct in his assessment . Whilst it was hanging inverted from the crane overnight, the crud from the bottom must have settled around the crown wheel, jamming it.

I decided to take the plunge with the angle grinder and chopped off the bonnet hinge extensions and the 'wings' which seem redundant anyway. I then smoothed the cut edges with a 40 grit flap wheel.

Having got rid of the original frame I was now able to manoeuvre the new slightly shorter chassis into a better position, having moved my stack of bagged logs yet again . I then recruited my son and plonked the body on top, using the existing suspension cut-outs for alignment.

I next chopped out the transverse brace come mounting in the nose cone with my jigsaw and carefully marked where the body will have to have slots cut to fit over the front frame and outriggers. This will be the next job, I imagine it'll involve a few body ons and offs with more measuring and ever smaller amounts removed until it sits nicely.

Regards, Mick