View Single Post
Old 25th March 2015, 17:32

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road
Default Major Milestone!

I started the engine again for the first time in a couple of weeks, I needed to resolve some issues before I closed of the front end ready for final fitting the wings and fitting the bonnet etc.

Today I drove it forwards and backwards, only a few feet in the garage, but enough to assure myself the clutch is fine. No clanking when I engaged gear, the clutch pedal felt nice, smooth take up and the pressure was pretty good. Huge sigh of relief. I had envisioned pulling the engine to resolve the non release issue, that wasn't on my list!!!

So, the percentage of tasks completed is 93.4 right now. Today I completed several of the tasks I had been putting off. I fitted the reversing light switch, this meant I had to make a little domed cap to cover it because I couldn't get the transmission cover back on once the switch was screwed in.

Another task in the same area was the gear lever bias springs, somebody had fitted the spring so it was easy to engage reverse but hard to engage fifth, I fixed it simply by turning the spring over and bending the ends.

I have made up the mountings for the electric fan, simple but they took some making. I have also raised the radiator by about two inches, to the maximum I can without taking lumps out of the nose cone or the header tank. This means the top of the radiator is slightly higher than the topmost part of the engine water system, so to should work better now.

I have installed the two fuse boxes, a main 'power' box and a second ignition controlled circuit box. I have installed the engine side wiring to the front. Still to wire the lighting circuits.

I will add some pix later. I need to go tidy the garage now.