View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:42

Paul L is on a distinguished road

8 Valve Ed - Cheers Robert.

I know this build has dragged on for both good reasons (family priorities) and bad (problems with the kit, the weather, etc. ).

I guess I just find it slightly depressing that despite the countless hours I have spent so far, I am still a long way from finishing.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fingers Crossed:
Spend quite a bit of time this morning washing my neighbours' wheelie bins & hosing down their drive.

After they complained yesterday about the dust I was making while sanding down the filler.
( It was unfortunate that every gust of wind seemed to blow stuff in their direction. )

However, I spoke to one of them after I'd finished cleaning and pointed out the roof of my Mondeo.
( This is sand from the Sahara that landed the other day and the whole street is covered in it. )

As they also complained about their car getting dirty and I now realised this had nothing to do with me.
( In fact most of the cleaning I did today was of their mess and not mine. )

Boot Lid:
I really like the way the "sunny side" of the boot lid now looks, even the eye bolt.

But I have to admit that the boot opening underneath is rapidly turning into a bit of a dog's dinner.

However, this stage I need to just keep going and try to make the best of a bad job...

I started to tidy up the fibreglass work that I did yesterday.

But then decided the way some of the matting had overlapped at the top of the mounting plates was a good idea.

So two fibre glassing sessions later and I had this.

Hopefully this will look marginally better when I've tidied it up a bit.

Frame/Arches/Floors:
The areas that were primed yesterday got their first coat of Hammerite.

Then I started adding Tetroseal to some of the areas that had already been sprayed with stone guard.

This included the front of the lowered floor pans & underneath the hand brake panel.

Plus sections of the rear arches and boot floor.

Obviously I will eventually end up with the whole area looking the same.

Bulkhead:

While I had the Tetroseal out, the bottom area of the bulkhead got it final coat too.

Today's title of "Fingers Crossed" refers to the fact that by the time I'd finished all this work the sky was black.

The thought of rain at this point, with so much fresh paint/sealer/fibreglass exposed, filled me with dread.

But <Touch Wood> the clouds are moving quickly overhead and it has stayed dry.

I'll leave everything for as long as I dare before getting the covers back on for the night.

So until next time, take care, Paul.