View Single Post
Old 12th August 2017, 16:29

Paul L is on a distinguished road

The Final Countdown - Part 2:
With the 'sunny side' almost sorted, I turned my attention the the underside of the car.

When the rear wheel tracking was set up, the original control arms were replaced with longer alternatives.

I was happy for second hand parts to be used, but forgot they had not been prepped/painted.

So both arms now look like this.

So there were sanded down.

Before some Kurust was applied.

Whilst it looks like blue paint in the above photo, it dries black.

So these just need to be painted before the wheels go back on.

The other big job underneath was sorting out the mess caused when the car fell off the jacks.

I'd previously hammered out the dents from the boot floor, but this had left some cracks in the Tetroseal.

So I worked my way around the underside of the boot floor removing any cracked Tetroseal.

Then save any exposed metal a coat of Kurust while I had that out.

This was the only section bright enough to get a half decent photo of.

Unfortunately, I also spotted a small crack in the cockpit on the passenger side.

Now this was small enough to get back on the road with and sort out later.

But instead I started hacked at it with a screwdriver until I'd made a huge mess.

Final job of the day was to wipe down/tack off everything on the sunny side.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Great Paint Expectations:
If I am being brutally honest I've reached the point where I just don't have any.

As I ended up putting a lot of time and effort into a paint job that can only aspire to be average at best.

But the good news is that it will do and I really want to stop working on the car now and get back to driving it.

In the end I will have proved you can both build a car outside and paint it too.

However, the real question is why would anyone want to?

Until next time, take care, Paul.