View Single Post
Old 27th April 2019, 07:32

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Spring Cleaning - Part 4:

Garden Furniture
The good news is that I could take advantage of the Easter weekend weather to oil these.

The bad news is that while they were drying the sun, the wind caught one of the shed panels left on the patio.
( By that time, we had 8 panels around the lawn getting painted and 2 still to do. )

Sure enough, the sickening crashing/cruching sound meant that the edge of one chair went through a wall of the new shed.

Thankfully the damage was limited and I've already painted a repair panel, which I can fix in place now the shed is up.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Water Feature
I normally use oiling the garden furniture as a sign to top up and switch on the water feature.

But something was amis, as I could see water being pumped, but it didn't 'overflow' the way it should.

So I removed the layer of slate that hides a 'shelf' for the water to gather and discovered it was rotton.

This photo was taken after I had pressed down on the plywood and it had just crumbled away.

So I will build a new shelf using some fibreglass matting I have left over.

Clothes Line
One slight technical hitch with my new shed is that it is two feet longer than the old one.

This means it now fouls the clothes line that previously had plenty of room in front of the shed.

So I need to fit a new post holder in a different part of the garden fit a clothes line to match the distances between the posts.

Picking up the parts for this is my first chore for today and it is already lashing down with rain outside.

And finally…

Dry Stone Walling Course
Before I knew I would be working my ar$e off Spring Cleaning I had booked myself on a one day course on 13th April.

It was a really good day and I learnt a lot about something that has always fasinated me.

It also gave me a much better appreciation about the time, effort & materials needed to build one of these.

I think that is more than enough excuses for not driving my car more.

It also explains why I am currently aching all over, as this has been very hard physically.

Until next time, take care, Paul.