View Single Post
Old 24th July 2019, 09:36

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Mission Accomplished. Well, One Of Them.....

An early start in the already warm cave saw me digging out my padsaw and a fresh hacksaw blade. It was immediately obvious that the flex in the blade would make the cut difficult if not impossible. After a bit of head scratching I hit on the idea of taping something rigid to the blade to stiffen it sufficiently. I had a length of 6mm stainless rod left over from making the mirror support for the A352 which fitted the bill perfectly. Amazingly, the tank sat on the bench at the optimum angle for inserting the bespoke tool through the sender hole. Illuminating it with my miniature LED torch got me started: two or three minutes saw the cut made, and another couple the offending pipe extricated. I de-burred the inside of the cut with my slimmest round file, and the cut end with my big rasp. I then used my telescopic magnet to remove the filings. Job done . There's about a centimetre stub left inside the tank, so the dregs of fuel won't flow but this will help prevent any foreign bodies being sucked up.

Regards, Mick