View Single Post
Old 25th August 2014, 11:57

y cymro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Got to agree with the observation on the side window line. There seems to have been a couple of different designs: one with a kink towards the back and a slightly flatter roof perhaps (optical illusion?); and one with a straight top, but both slope down to line up with the sweep of the rear window. The Tribute SWB, pretty though it undoubtedly is, has a horizontal window line at the moment -

I guess there might be a bit of a packaging issue with headroom using the Z3 donor seats (maybe aftermarket buckets could help?), but it'd be so nice if the roof/side window line could mirror the original.

Please don't take the above as a criticism, the car already looks very nice, but that side window is one of the defining features that makes the real thing look so special imho.
I agree that the roofline could be better, but on a personal note, probably wouldn't be able to get in it if the roofline sloped any more as it already looks lower than the Z3.
Comparing the two, I think the higher windscreen of the z3 has caused a problem using the marvellous, original SWB pattern roofline, because it is too slender for the side window profile.
I recommend making the roof profile deeper. It's difficult to estimate just how much without seeing the car in the flesh, but would guesstimate at least 25mm, possibly a little more. This would make it more like the second photo above. The higher roofline would provide a profile more in proportion with the original car, and also allow the side window profile to be made lower at the rear end, whilst still allowing me to get in.
That said, I think it's a wonderful effort which I'm sure will be very popular.

Last edited by y cymro; 25th August 2014 at 12:02..