View Single Post
Old 25th May 2018, 08:05

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Arrow A Diff-icult Day

'Spitfire Steve' turned up mid-morning and delivered my 'new' diff, as well as swapping my stainless transverse silencer for a straight though longitudinal back box, also stainless. Top bloke!

It will need a stepped connector to mate with the narrower diameter pipe. These I've bought before from Ebay for the A352.

The skies looked slightly threatening but I pitched in anyway, having to open a new box of nitrile gloves which resulted in a Michael Jackson vibe.

Balancing the diff. on the jack, I wormed my way under the car but, despite several attempts I just couldn't manoeuvre it into a position where I could replace the long bolt: it kept tipping forwards, even when I held the nose end up with a ratchet strap around the chassis rails. More head scratching resulted in my fabricating a bespoke wooden gismo which would hold the diff. horizontally. Ten minutes with saw, hammer and nails resulted in this masterpiece

It worked a treat, and I was soon once again contorting my limbs to bolt back the frame connections, followed by the three flanges. I then uncovered the cockpit, lay down on the passenger side floor and began replacing the studs through the spring mounting plate into the diff. I managed three of the four before my screaming arms cried enough and I packed up for the day, reminding myself for the umpteenth time that I'm not 21 any more! This morning I'm glad to see the rain as I can rest my aches whilst awaiting more clement weather

Regards, Mick