View Single Post
Old 9th December 2018, 07:56

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Rain Stops Play - Almost

Despite wandering down to the cave every morning since my last post, I've not achieved much, the sound of the rain beating on the corrugated iron roof being hardly inspirational. I did notice that, with the strong wind, water was finding its way into the back of the project through the holes and some even being blown into the cockpit. I first stuck small strips of gaffa tape over the holes, then bungeed a groundsheet over most of the back end.

As the dry front end was still accessible, I decided to address the problem of cutting the body and bonnet for the twin SUs and their filters. I'd replaced the chunk cut out by a previous owner to clear the DCOE which it came with, now sold. It was obvious that major surgery would be required, even if I had inlet trumpets rather than filters. I trawled through my collection of Monaco pictures, once again alighting on that of Maggie Shapland's, which is powered by an RS2000 engine with a DCD Weber, whose filter pokes neatly though the upper surface of the bonnet.

An internet search revealed that a suitable manifold is available . I e-mailed Moss, whose web site shows a picture of this installation, but, after waiting a frustrating week without reply, sourced and bought one from a Weber factors in California. Serendipity then came to the rescue yet again, in the shape of a 28/36 DCD jetted for a pre-crossflow 1500 Ford. No bids were placed, so I contacted the owner with an offer, which was accepted, and drove the 30 miles up to Worcester and collected it from another rabid geriatric petrol head. Crap photo' alert!

Remembering that I'd neglected to make provision for a throttle cable in my transverse pedal box support. I removed it after carefully marking where the cable hole was needed, and drilled it with a 2.5mm bit. The housing for the outer will have to be from a couple of thicknesses of ally rivetted to the top of the support. Once my Ebay cable arrives, and I've measured the ferrule, I can do this.

That was it for the week. With a decent forecast, albeit cold, for the next few days, I'm hopeful of more progress .

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 9th December 2018 at 11:24..