View Single Post
Old 29th September 2009, 20:26
Kit Car Dreamer

Dadiowe is on a distinguished road
Default Poor front handling

[QUOTE=sylvazx;16896]just joined the forum tonight and am a little worried by the stories of poor handling. i bought one of the very early cars ( 2nd batch manufactured ) and chose to fit it with the rover 216 ( honda ) engine. i find the handling of the car a bit nervous at the front but have not noticed anything from the back. when cornering hard on bumpy surfaces the front tends to wander off with each bump. has there been any suggested fixes for this problem at the front. am presently preparing a new engine to drop in the car over the winter, have sourcd a honda d16z6 engine from a honda crx, engine is the vtec version. have spent many hour refiguring the wiring to use the original ecu and fingers crossed it all works

john,
Built my car about four years ago but i have not played around with it much. One thing i did resolve last year was the front handling. My car was suffering from "bump steer". Apparently when you go over a bump the steering arm geometry changes and pulls on the hub and moves the wheel left to right. You can get over this problem by adjusting the arm that connects the track rod to the hub. I believe it has an elongated hole for this purpose.
i jacked the car up removed the damper and strapped a laser level to the wheel, locked the steering wheel in a straight ahead position. Then where the point of light shone on the garage door i drew a vertical line. As i moved the suspension up and down i could see the point of light moving away from the vertical line showing that the wheel was being pulled by the steering arm. i then adjusted the link arm to minimise this movement. i did have to elongate the adjuster hole to get it spot on though.
i hope thats clear but if not let me know and i will try and be a bit more precise.