View Single Post
Old 1st October 2005, 12:48

Strolls is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Biker
Thanks! Those links are exactly what I needed! Universal have a branch in Sandy which is really quite near me, so I think I'll go to some of their auctions - I'd like to get some idea of the closing prices on them. SilverLake have some 214s in my price range - £500 or £600 seems reasonable for a donor? What have the rest of you paid? - but their current 1600s are all newer & more expensive. I'll keep watching, but SilverLake are a bit for from me, too.

Mike: thanks for the list of write-off categories.

The impression I get is that I'm unlikely to find a low-milage pre-catalytic-convertor K-series donor... so if I have to accept the cat and I don't care if I have a Q-plate or not it doesn't matter to me what category I buy from. Category A will be unsuitable, anyway though, and category B will probably be.

There's some stuff about age related plates in another thread and also at TotalKitCar.com.

For anyone that's interested: To get an age-related plate you need "two major components from the donor" and the example 627/1 form indicates that transmission, engine & steering assembly are each a suitable major component. One must however prove the age of them, and the logbook is accepted as proof; it only actually lists the engine number, of course, so presumably the owner's statement that the transmission & steering assembly are from the same vehicle is acceptable. If there is some other way to prove that the engine is from a vehicle registered in a specific year then presumably that would also be acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboysexi
Think your guy may be trying to make a few bob out of you, try someone else.
Well, I think he's not much use for my purposes, but to be fair to him I don't think he was trying to rip me off - I just think that he doesn't need to help me, because he does plenty of business parting-out broken cars. There's no profit for him in trying to accommodate people with unusual needs. Since the places that Ex-Biker has listed will sell me the complete car, with the logbook in most circumstances, that's where I'll do my shopping.

Cheers for everyone's help,

Stroller.