View Single Post
Old 9th May 2013, 11:23

davecymru is on a distinguished road
Default Effects of relays in fan circuits? - ponderings needed

Just a quick bit of auto-electrical pondering i'd appreciate your thoughts on.....

I've been having cooling issues with the Countach and I found that the 3 cooling fans were all powered directly from a single 12v feed coming from the ignition switch and the thermostat was triggering them via a joint negative.

I have now completely re-wired them so that the switched 12v is going to the thermostat.
When the thermostat switches-on then it triggers 2 fused relays.
The feed to those relays is then coming via a large gauge wire directly from the battery main distribution point.
When the thermostat is triggered, that large gauge feed is then sent to the 12" fan by one relay and to the pair of 9" fans by the other relay.

So while this new setup is obviously more stable and safe, "to me" it also seems as though the fans are running much faster now as well

I could understand this difference if I'd switched from having them in series to be in parallel. But would also going from a shared, switched single supply to this new setup also have a difference?

I "think" the answer is yes, but i'd appreciate hearing the thoughts and ponderings of you lot.
Available from eBay