View Single Post
Old 19th May 2016, 15:47

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road
Default Boot floor

Spent about 3 hours on it today, doesn't look like much progress but a major modification made.
First was to modify the alloy crash bar at the rear. I worked out that if I turned it upside down I could probably get a flat boot floor. I got to use my favourite tools, a small hammer and a little heat

Unfortunately it proved harder to bend than I thought so I cut a bit out. I needed to remove a section so that it would clear the spare wheel which I am keeping.
Needed to trim the towing eye to fit the crash bar back on. (just above the exhaust)

this leaves plenty of room for the spare wheel. I then trimmed the rear panel, the fold is just about level with the crash bar, I managed to take it out in 1 piece with an angle grinder using a 1mm cutting disc.

Then choped the original boot panel into 3, mounted the main piece directly to the crash bar and the 2 side pieces to the rear boot section with self tappers.

Covered the gaps with duct tape and laid some GRP on top.
Still a couple of layers to put on. Not worried about the appearance, want it fixed on nice and strong. The boot floor is going to be carpeted so will hide any "bodgering".
It would be nice to have a trap door in either side to access the rear lights but little sidetracks like this take time and I don't want to get side tracked.