View Single Post
Old 7th March 2019, 07:02

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Dpaz – Unfortunately, I do have some deep-rooted hoarding tendencies.

My big breakthrough came in 2009, when we had the builders in to do a loft & garage conversion.
( As both these areas were packed with things that might come in handy one day. )

This forced us to tackle our stuff and resulted in multiple trips to the Charity Shop / Recycling / Dump.

Mind you, I also cheated a little by building a Summerhouse for some “temporary” storage.

Although regular readers will know that my Summerhouse is usually a complete mess.

And my shed, until recently, was not much better.

Therefore, hoarding really is something I have been battling with for years.

I learnt a lot from an old TV show called “Life Laundry” and more recently from Marie Kondo on Netflix.

A key part of Marie’s philosophy is to “Thank” items from your past, that will not be part of your future.

Whilst this sounds daft, it was the breakthrough I needed to finally part with my old MTB a few weeks ago.

Back in the early 1990s I used this bike in both Cross Country and Downhill races around the UK.

But over 20 years later it was broken beyond realistic economic repair and left languishing in my shed.

Deep down, I knew I was never going to use it again, but I just couldn’t bring myself to part with it.

Now I have simply thanked it for the joy it bought me in the past and taken it to the recycling centre.
( Where one of the guys there was going to take it on as a personal project. )

This was a big step forward for me and now I am on a roll and tackling ‘stuff’ all over the place.

Cheers, Paul.