View Single Post
Old 4th October 2015, 12:34

morris is on a distinguished road

The prop was a new custom made unit and had been balanced (had a little plate welded on). That doesn't mean it was correctly balanced mind you. I'm going to rule out all the more common causes first as that will be a pain to get looked at. I refurbished the drive shafts too so it's entirely possible they're out of balance though being so thin I would have thought it unlikely to cause a problem at road speeds.

I reset the toe in on the front this morning then gave my wheels an inspection for buckles. The one I knew about was on the back after all so that has to be addressed anyway. what I thought was a buckle on the front I now think is just a bit of corrosion damage on the bead which after they we're refurb'd shows as a minor inward dip as you spin the wheel. It isn't actually out of round.

I popped down kwikfit with my good spare wheel/worn tyre and my buckled wheel/good tyre to get them swapped over and they refused to do it. Said it's against company policy as they can't guarantee the work unless the tyre is brand new. Sounds to me more like they're only interested in helping if there's a tyre sale in it for them. Nowhere else is open today so I'll go to a local garage tomorrow and get them to do it. I can't just get a new tyre put on the good wheel as you can no longer buy the one I need to match the other side of the axle. It's pretty frustrating as it writes off an entire day of good weather and testing. I could probably fit my MV-1 front 225 wheels on the back of the Marlin but Patrick is right, they are a staggered set up with 255s on the back. A bit wide for the Marlin.

I've fixed up the front wings a bit too. I think the main problem is the weight of the GRP. Has anyone fitted Carbon fibre wings?

Last edited by morris; 4th October 2015 at 14:42..