View Single Post
Old 21st June 2014, 18:18

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Cheers both, it does feel like i'm (excuse the pun) motoring through this a lot faster than previously. At least so far.

A good bit of progress over the past few days.

Bulkhead off.

While the bulkhead on the Sammio was sound, i always regretted not taking it off, so i'm glad i _had_ to remove it for this build

Rear end stripped as far as i'm stripping it as everything else seems to be new or recently refurbished!

Before i bought this donor i was expecting to have to strip and weld the chassis on whatever i ended up with and i was preparing to buy a soda blaster (i don't have that toy yet ) But now that I've seen the state of the chassis, all it needs is a wash, going over with a wire brush and then painting !

Then lastly, those of you who may have followed my Sammio build will know that i can't praise "Spitfire Graveyard" enough! My last donor came without clocks, with the wrong carbs, no throttle pedal and a load of other bits missing. The team at the Graveyard always made sure that i bought the _right_ bits and they also made sure that i bought everything that was needed, rather than what i thought was needed.

So I've just used them to source the fuel tank, and while it will get a lick of paint tomorrow along with everything else, internally it's really good.
But they also left the fuel filler on for me! i'm well chuffed

So..... given the good condition of most of what i've got ( sorry Mark!) what i'm now thinking my plan of attack with this car is:
  1. Get everything renovated that will be inaccessible when built.
  2. Get the frame on
  3. Get the body on.
  4. Fit a basic interior with minimal clocks etc. & reuse the Spitfire fuel filler
  5. Paint it
  6. Get in on the road and start enjoying it!

Then over time:
  • Enhance the interior (fit heater / glove-box / other shiny bits)
  • Fit a posher fuel filler.
  • Upgrade front brakes and replace front suspension with trunionless
  • upgrade rear brakes and suspension
  • etc.
  • etc.

I'm now thinking that this may be a better approach for me as i did get bogged down with some unnecessary bits on the last build..
At least that's the plan for today!