Thread: Sammio for sale
View Single Post
Old 13th December 2018, 07:42

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Not a huge fan of Gulf colours on a 50's inspired car myself, but it really is down to personal taste and on that car it actually looks pretty good.

Thing is, you'd have to be a fairly serious motorsports enthusiast to recognise that the livery isn't right for the style of car, and to most people it's just going to look like a really cool and very old racing car.

One of the things I did with my Spyder was to fit a modern wireless, joking that it was there so I'd have something to listen to while I waited for the RAC to come and tow me home.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...7.jpg~original

The first time I took the car to a show I loitered near it and listened to the opinions of those who stopped to talk about it.

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...b.jpg~original

One pair of old chaps spent ages arguing about it: one said it was obviously an original, hand beaten aluminium racer that had survived in unmolested condition since the 50's, citing the patina on the paint as evidence of that (I'd sprayed it about a fortnight earlier).

The other insisted that it was obviously not original, but had undergone a recent and expensive restoration, citing the modern radio as evidence that its owner had added 'improvements' it didn't have in 1954. Both, however, agreed that a hi-fi has no place in an old racing car, which is one of the reasons that I removed it, but neither of them even considered that it might be a fibreglass special that the owner built himself.

I think my point is that this class of car is very much one that the owner can put their own stamp on, using non 'correct' colour schemes and detailing, and that Joe Public will still love the car despite it not conforming to the period rules that builders of replica Cobras, GT40's, C-Type Jags etc. feel they have to follow.

Sorry about the images not embedding properly, Photobucket problems today, I'm afraid.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 13th December 2018 at 08:04.. Reason: Photobucket not playing ball :(