View Single Post
Old 28th January 2017, 11:22

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul_N, liking the flying bedstead build, always loved those massive post WWI era, aero engined record attempt cars myself -

And yes, I have one of those micro heaters in my Spyder. Initially it was extremely effective and pumped out quite a lot of heat for its size, but that was while I was running an aluminium 'racing' Honda Civic VTEC radiator that turned out not to be capable of properly cooling my cast iron inline six (there was quite a dialogue on my 'on the road' thread about why copper is a more suitable medium to build radiator cores from than ally).

As Paul L alludes to above, my micro heater saw more service as a supplementary engine cooling device to stop the engine boiling over in traffic on stiflingly hot summer days rather than as a heater. Once I switched to an 'old tech' copper cored radiator the overheating problem went away, but so did the amount of heat that the micro heater could produce.

Mine is still in-situ and it does help to take the chill off during winter driving so long as you're dressed appropriately, but wouldn't really cut it as the sole heater in a car used regularly in a cold climate.

Good luck with the current project.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 28th January 2017 at 11:30..