View Single Post
Old 31st October 2015, 11:01
Enthusiast

pompeyal is on a distinguished road
Default The Fuel Tank

On removal of the fuel tank it didn’t look too bad and there was no sound of rust rushing about inside, if I were to use it again it would have to either be run with an external or an internal fuel pump and as I like a challenge I decided for the latter, a pump from the same car the engine came from, I obtained a pump from a civic with the same engine and checked it out against the tank, depth was a perfect fit and the rest of it seemed to be too, the only problems I had now were where are the baffles in the tank and how do I remanufacture the opening for the pump to fit…

After browsing the net I fortunately came across these images, result…

Brilliant the pump will fit between the baffles and I know where to cut the hole…

Hmmm next was how to fit it, I could either cut a civic tank up and use the interface from there and weld it into the tank or I could do it the hard way and do it properly so I opted again for the latter…

First I had to design and make a tool to create the swaged edge for the gasket to seal against, so into work, knocked up a tool and then done this…

Get old tank…

Mark out and cut holes…

Trial fit pump..

Fit tool and tighten, loosen, turn, tighten, loosen turn etc …

Remove the tool and hey presto a nice swage…now for the fixings…

Clean interface in and out and clean fixings.

Silver solder fixings In one by one allowing to cool at each fixing.. (NOTE: Ensure the tank has been completely cleaned off any fuel vapours if you want to try this at home, I will take no responsibility if you blow yourself up)

All done and pump now fits.. now to make it clean and sealed inside and nice on the outside

Last edited by pompeyal; 31st October 2015 at 11:03.. Reason: .